So we are going to talk about how to take your dog’s temperature. There are times you might notice that there is something a little bit off of your dog and you might want to take their temperature rather than having to depend on going to a vet. It is very simple, very easy. A little more complicated on a hairy dog. But you want to have a “dog thermometer” and have it clearly marked. You don’t want to use it on yourself or some other human by accident. And you need to have some Vaseline.
What to Do?
- You need to coat the bottom of the thermometer with Vaseline.
- Then turn it on. Now it is ready to be inserted.
- Now you have to locate the dog’s anus, insert the thermometer and hold it there until it beeps.
- Take it out accurately.
- Clean off your thermometer with soap and water.
- Put it back into your dog thermometer container.
What Temperature is Normal for a Dog?
A dog’s temperature is higher naturally. Baseline temperature is higher than humans. So a temperature of 101 to 102 is normal for a dog. Nothing to be worried about. If your dog is nervous, you might want to have another person hold the dog’s head. But it is really not something that is too uncomfortable for your pet.
The last thing we would recommend is getting a digital thermometer to take your dogs temperature rather than a glass one with mercury. And if you see that your dog has a fever – call a vet. This can be a sign of a serious medical condition.