TOP 10 Best Senior Dog Foods Compared and Reviewed
1 place :
Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food
1 place :
This item is nutritious and perfect for small and mini dogs. It promotes healthy aging and ensures well-being in the golden years of your dog. This senior canine feed has pre-biotic, which aids in the digestive process, and Omega-3 fatty acids. This product is specially manufactured for aging small breeds because their requirements are different.
2 place :
Nutro Ultra Senior Dry Dog Food
2 place :
This is a good product for senior pets. It has a combination of three proteins, chicken, lamb, and salmon. It also has a blend of fifteen super-foods like coconut, chia, kale, blueberries, etc. Protein is vital for a senior one, and your dog will show vitality and vigor after eating it.
3 place :
Canidae All Life Stages Dog Dry Food
3 place :
This product is for dogs of all ages, sizes, and breeds. It has high-quality ingredients and a perfect balance of proteins and carbohydrates. This feed is an ideal blend of chicken, rice, vegetables, etc.
4 place :
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Senior Dry Dog Food
4 place :
This item has high-quality chicken protein and will help your senior dog in building muscles. It also has grains, vegetables, and fruits. It is made with the best natural ingredients and has the perfect balance of nutrients.
5 place :
Diamond Naturals Senior Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
5 place :
This product will give your aging pet holistic nutrition. It has chicken, egg, oatmeal, super-foods, and probiotics. Your senior animal needs proteins and fats to maintain good health and keep the joints pain free.
6 place :
High-Quality Wet Meal: Blue Homestyle Recipe Wet Dog Food
6 place :
BLUE Homestyle Recipe is the only wet feed for senior dogs in our review. It is specially developed to meet all the requirements of older animals and contains only natural ingredients. If your pooch drinks less water than needed, this diet is salvation for you. Deboned chicken is the first ingredient and the main source of protein. Besides, it comes with whole grains which contain necessary carbohydrates to satisfy your pet’s needs. Chondroitin and glucosamine help to prevent problems with bones and joints. So, if you are looking for wet nutrition for your adult canine, this one should be number one to consider.
7 place :
Immune System Support: IAMS Proactive Health Dry Dog Food
7 place :
If your large-breed pet is at least 9-year-old, consider to switch him to IAMS proactive dry food. IAMS takes care of canines of different breeds and meets their needs. This nutrition was specially developed to satisfy the demands of senior canines in protein, minerals, and vitamins. It is made of the highest quality components and seems very delicious. The high content of useful antioxidants helps to keep the immune system healthy. And, finally, it is free from artificial additives. With this best senior dog food, large breed pets become more active. You shouldn’t be so surprised if your old pet becomes more energetic than before.
8 place :
Tasty and Nutritious: Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Senior Dog Food
8 place :
Wellness Complete Health is another best dry food for senior dogs, which helps to improve their health. It appears tasty, so pooches do not refuse eating it and don't ask to change diets. Also, it will be the best fit for the pets tending to overeat and suffering from obesity. This nutrition contains fewer calories. Deboned chicken is the first ingredient, so it will be an excellent choice for pets, who have allergies to other meat types. Glucosamine and chondroitin included in the list of components take care of healthy joints and pet’s activity as a whole. Flaxseed is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, so your pooch’s fur will always be shiny.
9 place :
Grain-Free Recipe: Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Natural Dry Dog Food
9 place :
When it is necessary to choose the best senior dog food, it is impossible to pass by Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Senior Recipe. It is formulated with real chicken as the main source of protein. Special raw, freeze-dried pieces help to make it more attractive for canines. Taurine and L-carnitine included in the list of ingredients help to maintain pets full of energy. Fatty acids from salmon take care of skin and coat. Even pets that suffer from poor digestion will forget about this problem. Finally, this diet is free from by-products and artificial flavors, so it is safe for life.
10 place :
For Active Lifestyle: Avoderm Natural Health Solutions
10 place :
Avoderm dry food is formulated with plenty of nutrients necessary for a healthy and long life of your senior canines. The presence of avocado among its ingredients contributes to shiny skin and fur. The high content of vitamins and minerals from all-natural products helps to support the immune function and takes care of bones and joints. Lamb meal is the number one ingredient. Also, this well-balanced diet is rich in protein. It guarantees that your pet is getting optimal nutrition required for his age.
Before choosing food for your senior canine, check the ingredients carefully, and also be aware of your pet’s health condition. Give your little one the most suitable diet.
Types of Food for Senior Dogs
Today it is possible to distinguish two main types of the best dog food for senior dogs. They are dry and wet. Both types are ready-made and have their pros and cons. Let’s see what they are in more details.
Why Senior Dogs Need Special and Unique Food?
Senior pets cannot be fed the same way as you feed the younger ones. This is because of the following reasons:
- As hounds getting old, they become slower and tend to accumulate weight. Animal experts say that giant breeds gain weight faster than the normal ones. If it keeps growing fat due to the wrong food type, then inviting all health troubles becomes fast. Obese canines become older at a quicker pace than those with average weight. Leaner dogs can live 5-7 years more if you feed them the right way. That is why you need exclusive food for them. Another advantage is that you can avoid heart ailments thanks to special type of feed.
- Aging, canines lose their interest in food. Special care is required so that they do not get deprived of essential nutrients. Senior dog foods can easily solve this issue.
- Old canines face gastrointestinal problems very frequently due to reduced digestion capacity. So, foods for aging pets are easy to digest and help to avoid liver diseases and constipation.
- Diets for senior pets are lower in caloric value, and feeding them can prevent the chances of your aged pet becoming a diabetic.
- Old ones need food lower in sodium content because as they age, their bodies lose the ability to retain fluid balance. If you continue to feed them with sodium enriched products, senior pets will start having kidney-related health issues.
- Foods for senior canines provide them with high-quality protein without pets gaining weight (or) putting stress on their kidneys.
- If your aging pet is already obese, it might be having arthritis issues. The accumulated body weight causes severe strain on the old pets’ limbs. To resolve this, you should ensure that the senior dog consumes enough of glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate. These will heal the joint inflammation and make an animal feel better; also helps in healing arthritis.
How to Buy the Right Dog Food for Your Senior Dog?
Use the below tips to select the right diet for your aging pooch:
- Soft Foods. Old pets have dental issues and would find it difficult to chew hard pieces like bones or meat. This is the reason why they gradually stop eating even their favorite food. Always choose the type which won’t be difficult to eat.
- Bone Supplements. Senior pooches need various supplements like proteins, calcium, etc. which strengthen their bones. Hence, ensure that your product has the above supplements.
- Should not Result in Constipation. It should be rich in fibers and not cause constipation or digestive disorders.
- Antioxidants. Aging canines are prone to a high risk of intestinal or oral cancer. Besides, feeding them vegetables and fruits like apple slices, ensure that their food comprises of antioxidants. This will help to prevent cancer and reduce the fast aging of the animal.
- Fatty Acids. If you try giving more natural fats, your senior dog accumulates weight at a quicker pace. Hence to avoid this, you cannot entirely cut on the fats. Instead, ensure that the dog food includes essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and 6. These can help in checking the heart ailments and keep them active and healthy.
- Low-Calorie Level. Check the calorie level of each serving by reading the label of the dog food. Select the one with low-calorie level so that you can avoid obesity and joint issues.
When Your Pet Needs Senior Dog Food?
Your pet needs a senior dog food in the following cases:
- If its age is 7 and above, senior dog food will be more suitable choice than regular food.
- If your adult dog’s daily routine does not include active exercises and movements like walking, running, etc. Most people follow the mistake of feeding them rich foods like meat in spite of the lazy lifestyle of the dog. Instead, switch over to senior food and see the dog living healthily.
- If the breed of your adult dog is miniature, they might find chewing normal foods difficult when getting older. Moreover, it’s obligatory to control the weight of the larger breeds. Hence senior dog food is needed for both.
- Price of the senior dog food matters as it has to do with your financial budget. If you can afford only the minimum, go in for economy or premium feeds. If you do not mind the budget, then super-premium or holistic feeds are not an issue. When you start a particular type of senior dog feed, check whether your pet is comfortable with the amount of feed. If so, try to stick to the same feed type.
Our Final Advice for 2019
A pet dog is as important as a family member and helps taking out your loneliness. Especially when it has been with you for years, it becomes so special and understands your every move and mood perfectly. You would always want to prolong its life and companionship. It would be a real pain to watch your old friend being sick or dull. Hence a perfect senior dog food would help you in all ways to make your pooch feel healthy and normal. That is why we would strongly recommend Hill’s Science Diet as the best one for your senior dog.