Top 5 Best Guinea Pig Food Compared and Reviewed
1 place :
Best Overall: Oxbow Essentials Cavy Cuisine
1 place :
Oxbow Essentials Cavy Cuisine Adult has the highest rating among the pet owners, and it is quite understandable. The company produces special nutrition for adult pets based on top-notch hay with a high fiber level. The product combines all the necessary ingredients and stabilized nutrients. It has fewer proteins than younger species may need, fewer calories, and less calcium. Oxbow Essentials is suitable for animals that are 6+ months old.
2 place :
Top Dry: Oxbow Essentials Adult (Timothy Based)
2 place :
Oxbow Essentials Adult Timothy Hay for Guinea pigs is similar to our leader, but there is Timothy grass in its composition. This item deserves special attention because sometimes vets prescribe feeding the animal with a particular diet and in this case, Oxbow with the timothy grass can be the option. This product has tasty food that was specially designed to feed your pets. It has fewer calories and less calcium in its composition in comparison to other foods, but it is rich in Vitamin C and fibers thanks to the Timothy grass. It suits the pets older than six months.
3 place :
Great Price: Kaytee Timothy Hay Complete
3 place :
Kaytee Timothy Hay for guinea pigs will provide your animal with the best diet that has a fiber-rich blend. This feed with a high fiber level is perfect for the excellent digestion, helps to keep the animal's teeth clean and treats your pet with taste. This product also has a top quality timothy grass, wheat, and oats in its composition. The diet is not rich in calcium and protein to protect your pet's from possible urinary problems.
4 place :
Great Treats: Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat
4 place :
If you want to treat your pets, pay attention to Kaytee guinea pig food. These guinea pig snacks are very easy to apply, and they are very tasty. Guinea pigs need trim teeth and to achieve this, they should chew a lot. These best treats for guinea pigs are cooked from sun-cured timothy hay with juicy apples, alfalfa meal, and flaxseed. Even dried cane molasses are added to the composition. This product can be an excellent addition to the main diet, and your pet will surely appreciate if you supply it with such treats more often. You can give them the biscuits several times a day or leave some of them in the bowl.
5 place :
5 place :
Standlee Premium Western Forage Timothy Grass is one of the products with the highest rating. It has high quality natural sun-cured forage. This diet is really tasty for your pet and contains high fibers necessary for proper health. If your vet recommends treating your animal with hay without calcium and protein, this Standlee Premium Western Forage would be a perfect choice. The grass present in the composition is from the nutrient-rich volcanic soils of Southern Idaho. It is also rich in all the important components. There are no harmful additives and preservatives in this product. But according to guinea pig food reviews, this food cannot be the only compound in the animal's diet.
Types of Guinea Pig Food
The basis of the best guinea pig food 2019 is hay and various herbs and cereals, seeds and nuts, as an addition to the main foods. Manufacturers of ready-made dry feed take into account the peculiarities of feeding small rodents and use hay, dried stalks and leaves of plants for their production. They also produce grain mixtures enriched with vitamins and useful additives.
The feed is divided into four categories:
- the main food. It consists of grains, dried fruit, and vegetables, nuts and seeds;
- the best guinea pig pellets. They are made from the same grains, seeds, dried fruit, and dried vegetables, but comes in the form of granules;
- grainless feed, which contains extremely high-quality dry hay;
- food delicacy. It contains slices of dry fruits and nuts.
There is a wide range of industrially made best guinea pig food which differs not only in the content of its packaging but also in its price. But, judging by the reviews, only a few manufacturers produce really high-quality and balanced food that meets all the animals’ needs.
Guinea Pig Food Pellets
In this case, manufacturers use cereals, plants, seeds, vegetables, and fruit, supplementing them with a useful vitamin-mineral complex.
The composition of this best guinea pig food includes dried hay of stems and leaves from garden and meadow plants. It is always of high-quality and fresh; it smells good and furry pets love them.
Guinea Pig Treats
Traditional treats for guinea pigs are juicy fresh tomatoes, pears, grapes, strawberries, and apples; among the latter preference is given to home, garden apples.
Best Guinea Pig Food Buying Guide – What To Look At?
On the contrary to homemade food, there are special dry foods for sale. Like all rodents, they love cereals, seeds, and legumes. The feed recipes include such grains as oats, wheat, barley, soybeans, lentils, and sunflower seeds. In addition to them, combined products incorporate herbal and fruit granules, dried fruits, and honey. In high-quality feed, there should be no nuts, fructose, corn syrup, bone meal, and preservatives.
According to guinea pig food reviews, the best feed should comply with these parameters:
The Size of Granules
Pellets contained in the feed for chinchillas or guinea pigs are suitable. Mixtures intended for rabbits and other larger animals usually contain large granules that are uncomfortable for guinea pigs.
The expired feed can be harmful to animals; there is a risk of a negative impact on the digestive system.
What Vegetables Are Good for Guinea Pigs?
Among the vegetables that can be given to your pet are the following:
- Squashes, which is rich in vitamins, minerals, and pectin, normalizing intestinal peristalsis;
- Carrots, which have a positive effect on the skin and coat, visual and auditory functions;
- Pepper, which is rich in vitamin C. For consuming, only sweet varieties are allowed, and the hot ones lead to irritation of the mucous membranes;
- Pumpkin. Not only the flesh is eaten but also the crust and seeds, which are rich in zinc and act as a prophylactic against helminthiasis;
- Cucumbers. They are low-calorie issues with an anti-inflammatory effect to facilitate fat absorption;
- Fresh peas. It is recommended to feed pets only with fresh pods without abusing quantity. Do not give dried grains; although, some manufacturers add them to the finished feed;
- Cabbage. It requires competent control. It is introduced gradually to avoid heavy gas formations. The product is rich in sulfur, synthesizes collagen and gives shine to hair;
- Swede. It helps with constipation, facilitating peristalsis, and has a diuretic effect;
- Jerusalem artichoke. The use of these root crops, enriched with starches, should be limited to avoid intestinal disorders. The remaining parts, rich in fiber and amino acids, are resolved on an ongoing basis.
Guinea Pig Diet
Here are the main tips of the good food for guinea pigs that you are to follow.
- Specialized dry food;
- Sprigs – willow, birch, linden, apple;
- Cabbage (in small quantities, as it can lead to excessive gas formation and associated effects);
- Pears (in small doses, as they are “heavy” for the stomach);
- Carrot and beet tops;
- Greens germinated wheat, oats, and other grains;
- The grass is welcomed (dandelions, sedges, clover, plantains, etc.);
- Dried apples;
- Grains of corn;
- Tops of strawberries, raspberries;
- Blackberry leaves;
- Young green peas in pods;
- Peaches, apricots, and nectarines;
- Sheet lettuce – in small quantities only a leaf, excluding leaf stalks, if possible;
- Watercress – small quantities of sheets;
- Cabbage lettuce (in small quantities).
- Potato (in any form);
- Cereals (rice, buckwheat, millet) in any form as a separate feed;
- Butter (in porridge, in pure form);
- Animal proteins (milk, cream, cottage cheese);
- Salty, sweet, fried products;
- Oak branches;
- Citrus fruit;
- Green onions;
- Plums (strong laxative);
- Salad mustard;
- Sweet tea;
- Salt (there are mineral stones for this);
- Flowers (all);
- Bread (it contains salt and sugar, as well as other flavor additives).